Wednesday, March 21, 2007

New York Times Article

I have not written for a while here. Life has been busy, I have had Alanna more than usual as Megan has not been feeling well. She has days where she is ok, days where she feels great, and days where she can't get out of bed or stop throwing up.

Alanna has had her days too. There is no way that this is not affecting her in some way, seeing her mother so sick. Thankfully she has a great daycare center to go to a few days a week, and she spends time with people who give her tons of love. So far we have been able to keep things as even keel as possible.

She is still too sick to work as there is no rhyme or reason to her getting ill. She still has some money to live on for another month or so, and we might have to figure out how to regenerate some more help financially. So many people have been so kind...and I am so appreciative. You have no idea how much all the support has meant to our family. My friend Karen called me today and wanted to know what she could do, and I told her that just making that phone call to me meant everything in the world. It has been a really rough winter for all of us, and the kindness of others has been what has kept a smile on my face when I thought that impossible.

I read the New York Times article today from the sunday magazine on Women in the War. I think everyone should read it..you can go to nytimes. com and at the bottom go to Magazine and the link to the article "The Women's War". I could not finish it as I was so upset and knew too much already--first hand from Megan about the sexual harassment and abuse.....Megan said she never went anywhere without a knife out of fear of ANY man..not just the "enemy". She did file harassment charges a few times against one of her commanding officers, and they were "demoted" as a result, but it sounds like she was lucky, as this is not often the norm. The article touched the tip of the iceberg and did not cover other abuses of women, pregnancy in the miliatry, and the diseases that women come home with.

I cannot write more about it as I will get too angry and need to keep a positive focus for all concerned.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

.

If I could speak in any
language in heaven or
on earth but didn't love
others, I would only be
making meaningless noise
like a loud gong or a
clanging cymbal. If I
had the gift of prophecy,
and if I knew all the
mysteries of the future
and knew everything
about everything, but
didn't love others, what
good would I be? And
if I had the gift of faith
so that I could speak
to a mountain and make
it move, without love
I would be no good to
anybody. If I gave
everything I have to
the poor and even
sacrificed my body,
I could boast about it;
but if I didn't love others,
I would be of no value
whatsoever. Love is
patient and kind. Love
is not jealous or boastful
or proud or rude. Love
does not demand its
own way. Love is not
irritable, and it keeps
no record of when it
has been wronged.
It is never glad about
injustice but rejoices
whenever the truth
wins out. Love never
gives up, never loses
faith, is always hopeful,
and endures through
every circumstance.

May You Always
Experience This
Kind Of Love,
Dr. Howdy

9:41 PM  
Blogger TaikoMom said...

Patti,

If Megan is stage IV, meaning it has spread to other parts/organs - then she automatically can file and receive permanent dissability- SSDI. Please have her call and start an application ASAP. It will pay from the time she could no longer work. BUT they will give the payments until 6 months after she is accepted.

Blessings,
Sharon in SF

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home